Monday, June 20, 2011

Bathing Horse

This cake was made for a 21st birthday for Jenny, a family friend! She grew up riding horses & training them. Her family has almost a dozen horses, so I thought that it would be really fun to incorporate her horse loving side into her cake. I found a photo online & I had to do it. It is so cute, right?!
I made a 6 inch 2 layer cake. I made about 100 bubbles in three different colors and let them air dry. The wooden barrel is made out of light brown fondant that I painted a little bit with food coloring. I let it dry to harden flat and then added the gray lines around to "hold the barrel together." The grass is homemade green butter cream frosting. 
The horse head and body I made to resemble a horse as closely as I could. I made the body & head out of chocolate marshmallow fondant. I even made the teeth and upper lip.   
The horse hair I made by rolling out rectangles of fondant, squishing the fondant with a fork and then cutting the hair into strips.

3 comments:

Jen and Shelley said...

This is soooooo cute. We love it! We are hungry for horse cake and wish we had some right now!

wendy said...

Debbie, I am so glad you started a blog! You have more talent in your pinkie finger than most people have in their entire hands, I love seeing your cakes!

Debbie Cole said...

Thanks Wendy, Jen & Shelley! Your comments mean a lot!!