Friday, July 8, 2011

Melody is all Tangled up!

I have a Tangled fanatic in my house! So... I made a Rapunzel tower cake for my daughter, Melody's 6th birthday. This cake was made for her July 6th golden birthday.

This is the starting of my Rapunzel tower.  I made a structure out of an aluminum base & an empty corn skewers plastic jug. I stuffed the jug with foam circles & then added the towers & windows/doors with foam cones & squares that I shaped. I then used 3 inch nails to secure the entire structure.
I used gum paste mixed with marshmallow fondant around the structure so that it would harden.  I rolled out the gum paste/fondant in sheets and formed it to look like the walls of the tower.
 I then used more gum paste/fondant to roll out, cut & form the details for the window moldings, doors, chimney, towers, and supports for the tower. This was A LOT of work!
 Here is a look at the finished tower room & bay window.
 I then hand painted the tower bricks and wood moldings with acrylic paint. This tower was meant to be re-used and set upon a square support on top of a cake. So... if you want to use the tower & rapunzel doll set, let me know!
I then added a gum paste/fondant roof... in which I asked my Daddy (who's a contractor) the right way to do it correctly. "I hope I made you proud, Dad!" 
 Here is a shot of the roof complete & ready to be painted!
 Me, painting the roof of the tower! This whole project took me an entire week of my free time & a couple LATE nights.
 This is the 10 inch, 2 layer cake that I made for Melody to go under the Rapunzel tower. Melody wanted a "Melody Cake," so I literally made a cake with her name all over it. I also covered the square base that the tower sat upon with the same mint green fondant to blend in with the cake.
 Melody & her friends decorated cupcakes with 5 different colors of frosting & fondant flowers that I made. This is her creation!
 Melody hitting Flynn Ryder with a frying pan. This is a poster that I drew & I printed out a frying pan template from online.
 Rapunzel in her tower! I also added flowers which are green, white & purple hydrangeas.
 Melody's cake all done! Rapunzel in her tower & Flynn Ryder waiting to climb up!
Melody with her Rapunzel Tower Cake!

3 comments:

Sara Ann said...

I love love love this cake!!! I think it is my favorite cake that you've made Debbie!

Unknown said...

Debbie, wow! This is by far your best work and the most impressive. I loved "Tangled" too, so tell Melody you don't have to be 6 to enjoy the film or the cake :) Very cute.

ZetaBlue said...

This is by far my favorite cake that I've seen on your blog. It's really fantastic Debbie! What a lucky girl Melody is to have you make her such a great cake.