Monday, July 18, 2011

Tropical Honeymoon Paradise

A friend I graduated asked me to make me a cake for her sister's bridal shower on July 17th. The Bridal Shower had a luau theme.  
I made a palm tree out of gum paste, marshmallow fondant and a cake support column. I made coconuts & shells to decorate the cake with. I also made an umbrella out of gum paste, marshmallow fondant, and a few dowels & toothpicks.
 The little legs were the bride & groom being "naughty" under the umbrella. I had to put a representation of the happy couple & what better way to represent them than a happy honeymoon scene! Notice her painted toenails.
The bottom tier is covered in green tinted homemade marshmallow fondant. I made a waterfall for the cake out of homemade buttercream frosting tinted with turquoise & white. I made rocks, tiki men, and hibiscus flowers for added decorations around the cake.

I used pirouettes for bamboo around the first tier.
All of my decorations on the cake (except for the umbrella & palm tree) are edible homemade marshmallow fondant.
I had my daughter, Michaela help transport the cake... it was a little heavy! But it was only across town & she was a big help! This cake has a 6inch tier and a 10 inch tier, both with 2 layers.

No comments: