Monday, July 18, 2011

Lake Lot 2011

 I have a big Family! On my dad's side of the family (Schneider) he is one of 14 kids! I am the oldest of 10 kids in my family too! When all of us get together... it's a lot of fun! Well... about 40 of us out of 64 got together this year for our annual Lake lot party at my Godmother's lot on Big Deep in Hackensack. (July 15th thru the 17th) We decided that the family would enjoy making a cake & seeing what I do to make a cake. So I packed up almost all of my supplies, glitter, rolling pins, etc... & made lots of extra fondant so they could design & decorate their own cake.
 This is my Godmother Judy, cousin Lindsey, & sister Karen making fondant people for the cake.

 My sister Diane, (her boyfriend Andy sleeping), my Godmother Judy, cousin Lindsey, & my sister Karen designing & decorating the cake.
I covered the top tier in a light pink fondant and made a pink bow. The bottom tier I covered in a turquoise fondant and another pink bow. I then added green dots.
 For the top of the cake, we put a lot of ideas together. We made a few floaty noodles, a few black inner tubes, a volleyball, flippers, & people floating in the water upright & upside down. I also made a fishing pole with a fish for the lady on the inner tube.
 After a while we started to get more help. Mark (cousin), Rachel (sister), Penny (daughter), Lindsey (cousin), Karen (sister), and Melody (daughter) all had to help out.
 We made green fondant fish to put around the cake. These are my two fish I made.
 Judy made a sun for the cake & Lindsey made a watermelon for our annual Watermelon Toss game. We bring 2-3 watermelon to throw off the end of the dock to try & break it. After it breaks, all of the kids race to eat the watermelon in the water. Sometimes it takes quite a while to break the melon so it becomes a challenge for those trying to smash it to use different throws & dives to get enough force to crack it.
 Lake Lot 2011! Judy's fish.
 We always have a huge fire each night and hang around it at night. Oh & look at the marshmallows being roasted over the fire! Oh shoot... we should've made a the state bird..... a huge mosquito.
 Judy needed to make a snapping turtle...
My Godfather, Dan made a Lockness monster a few years back that he put out in the lake about 10 feet away from the dock. He rigged a pulley system to the start of the dock which made the monster rise & fall out of the water. This totally freaked out the kids & gave the adults something to joke about. As you can see, Locky has been retired and now hangs proudly on the wall in the lake lot shed. 
 Lindsey's re-creation of Locky.
 Our family LOVES to play volleyball. We have a lot of people in our family & there is a lot of competition. I made a volleyball net to go with the ball (which fell in the lake this year during a game. We have 4 flights of steps to get to the lake.) I also had to make it look more like a net, so I had to make someone hanging/spiking over the net.
 This is my uncle Bob. He always brings his jet ski & tube up to the lake. My sister, Karen made the jet ski & I helped her with Bob. I then added wire glasses for the finishing touch.
 Diane's fish.
 This is a sand crocodile made by my Melody. We always have new sand brought in for the kids to play in a giant sand box that is shaded by a tarp to keep cool. There was a crocodile mold in the sand box this year so she wanted to make it herself. I added brown sugar for the sand & made her some light brown fondant. Melody shaped her crocodile & even made her own tongue & mouth with pink. She added scales, nostrils & teeth too!
Melody with her crocodile & watermelon half from the watermelon toss! I forgot to take a photo of the inside of the cake. Melody told me what colors to layer in the cake. It had pink, yellow, purple, blue & white buttercream frosting that was alternated randomly. When it was cut it looked so cool! This cake is a 6inch tier for the top & a 10 inch tier for the bottom. Each tier is 2 layers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photos! I missed a few of the items when looking it over this weekend, but I'm glad you took photos of all the detail!

Leanne said...

Toooo many people for me, but great job to the entire family on the cake.
R U going to C Andrea between 22 & 31 Jul. Jasmine will B here until 5 Aug. From Grandpa John

Leanne said...

LOVE the roasted marshmallows!! mine would be singed black! :) L